Solutions and the way forward
Following the publication of our drought report, In their own words: the hidden impact of prolonged drought on children and young people, UNICEF Australia hosted the first youth summit for young people living with drought.
Young people from across NSW came together last year with decision-makers and one another to discuss the challenges they face and solutions for current and future droughts.
The youth steering committee recommended holding the summit near water to give drought-stricken kids a break and some relief.
What did the Summit achieve?
- Connected young people from across NSW with their peers to create a support network based on shared experiences of the challenges of living with drought.
- Developed a shared understanding of the impact of drought on young people, the support available (what works, what hasn’t worked), and the key gaps that need to be addressed.
- Provided a forum for meaningful, action-oriented discussion between young people, policy-makers and service providers about how to more effectively support young people and children experiencing drought.
- Strengthen confidenced in advocacy, analysis, collaboration and leadership among young people attending the Summit.
- Resulted in a concluding, public report – Generation Drought – from UNICEF Australia. Going forward, we will work with the NSW Government to implement policy recommendations.